Last Updated on
Siquijor is one of our favorite islands in the Philippines and for a good reason. I think we could even live here. It’s super clean quiet and has tons of adventure around every corner. One of our favorite places we visited was Cambugahay falls, Its like a natural waterpark with different tiers of emerald blue waterfalls and rope swings.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to get to Cambugahay falls and Siquijor
- 2 How to get from Dumaguete to Siquijor
- 3 How to get from Cebu to Siquijor
- 4 Renting a scooter on Siquijor Island
- 5 Cambugahay Falls location
- 6 What to expect at Cambugahay Falls
- 7 When to visit Cambugahay Falls
- 8 Other Siquijor Island tourist attractions
- 9 Where to stay in Siquijor
How to get to Cambugahay falls and Siquijor
First off you have to get to Siquijor before you can visit Cambugahay Falls. If you arent there yet you will most likely be staying in one of two places, Cebu Or Dumaguete. We were personally staying in Dumaguete so the journey was very fast and cost-efficient.
How to get from Dumaguete to Siquijor
There are boats that run this route multiple times a day. The rate was 250 Php for tourist class ( open-air on the deck ) and 380 Php for business class ( Airconditioned ). The route only takes around 40 minutes and is very relaxing. Below are the times for the OceanJet Ferry.
Dumaguete to Siquijor
Siquijor to Dumaguete
How to get from Cebu to Siquijor
If you are coming from Cebu they have three main options for you to travel. Bus, ferry and plane and they are a wide all very different prices.
- Bus, its a tad cheaper but a lot longer. You first have to take a bus then a ferry. It could take 7+ hours to get there plus the transfer time and this is if they are on time. Although it will only be 600 Php you will be taking up tons of time that you could be using soaking in the waterfalls.
- Ferry, this is how we would get there. This journey is only 3.5 hours and costs 1500 Php. Not the most direct route but I could say the most time and cost-effective.
- Plane, of course, this is the most time-efficient but not the most cost-efficient. With it being only a 40-minute flight you can get there very quick but tickets tend to be 2500 Php+
No matter what option you choose for getting to Siquijor we suggest you get there as early as possible to make the most of your time. There are tons of people that visit Cambugahay Falls so we want you to get there nice and early. You can check all the costs below.
Renting a scooter on Siquijor Island
The most cost-effective way to get around Siquijor and explore is by renting a scooter. We suggest you do this that way you can stay at Cambugahay Falls as long as you would like and not have to worry about someone waiting for you. Right at the Siquijor Port, there are tons of scooters for rent. They actually have a flat fee of 350 Php per day so there should be no need to bargain with them.
Cambugahay Falls location
Cambugahay Falls is located 29.3 km south of the Siquijor Port ( 47 minutes ). It’s a really beautiful relaxing ride and honestly, Siquijor is our favorite island to ride a scooter on. There is never any traffic and the island is super clean. They have one main road that runs around the entire island and you can easily ride an entire loop in a day. If you make a mistake and take a wrong turn that’s not an issue the locals will surely help you. When we were there we took the whole day hopping from waterfall to waterfall and it was a blast.
What to expect at Cambugahay Falls
When you first arrive at Cambugahay Fall you will be greeted by some locals directing you where to park. Parking fees will be around 10 Php which isn’t bad and is actually nice to have someone look after your stuff. Plus you are really helping the community with these little parking fees ( so I am ok with it ). Across the street is the entrance and the stairs to the falls. I mean come on you didn’t expect to go to a beautiful waterfall with no stairs did you :)? There is no entrance fee but there are locals selling snacks and drinks so no worries if you aren’t prepared.
Once you make the mild journey down the stairs you are greeted by the most beautiful blue waters of Cambugahay Falls. This waterfall is a three-tier waterfall with calm soaking pools on the upper tiers. They have designed this natural wonder to attract all types of travelers. The relaxing travelers that just like to float and the adrenaline junkies that want to swing and flip. They have two smaller rope swings at the top by the smaller pools of water and a very large rope swing at the main falls. The rope swings cost 50 Php per swing it’s not too expensive.
When to visit Cambugahay Falls
This is one of the most popular waterfalls in Siquijor so make sure you get here early. I would actually suggest this being the first place you visit of the day so you can beat the crowds. Most people don’t stay on the island so the crowds really start coming in until around 11 am. This is when the place turns into a community swimming hole with people everywhere. If you get there right after sunrise you can enjoy this place to yourself for a couple of hours and its really such a fun relaxing place to be.
Other Siquijor Island tourist attractions
Although Cambugahay Falls is one of the main attractions on the beautiful island of Siquijor there are still tons of other things to see. Some of the other well-known attractions and must not miss places on your Siquijor tour are:
- Salagdoong Beach, this is another location that suits every type of traveler. There is not only a resort and a relaxing beach here but also an area for cliff jumping. This is another location you can spend tons of time so if you have it we suggest getting a room on the island and staying a night. Salagdoong Beach Resort room rates are around $95 USD a night so if this is within your budget it would be a great choice.
- Lugnason Falls, this is another popular waterfall in Siquijor and in our eyes a must not miss. This waterfall is an adrenaline junkie playground and not very far from Cambugahay Falls.
There are still tons more to do when you are in Siquijor but these were our top 3 favorite Siquijor tourist spots on the island.
** If you have extra time and want to see more of the Philippines make sure you don’t miss El Nido and Coron. These are two of the most popular spots in the Philippines and for a good reason.**
Where to stay in Siquijor
If you arent interested in staying at Salagdoong Beach Resort or it’s not in the budget we suggest you check out these two places.
- White Villas Resort in Siquijor is an incredible property that comes with breakfast included. It has an 8.8 rating and is only $60 USD a night.
- Blue Wave Inn Siquijor, if you are looking for something even cheaper to help your Philippines budget you can always check out the Blue Wave Inn. They have a pool with a beautiful view. The rooms here are very simple and only cost $27 USD a night.
We hope this was helpful for you! If you have any questions feel free to let us know below we will always respond to all comments. Also if you are planning a trip to the Philippines make sure you check out all our free video guides and checklist to help you with all your trips throughout the country.