When someone talks about Sri Lanka, they will surely utter about the Nine Arch Bridge in Ella. This is one of the most famous places to visit in Ella. The Nine Arch Bridge is located between the Ella station and Demodara station. This was built during the British Colonial period. Did you know that this bridge is called ‘Ahas Namaye Palama’ by the locals? In Sinhala, this means nine skies bridge. Watching the skies from below the bridge is an amazing experience you must encounter when in Ella.
Table of Contents
- 1 Facts about the construction of Nine Arch Bridge Ella:
- 2 How to get to the Nine Arch Bridge in Ella?
- 3 What to expect when visiting Nine Arch Bridge?
- 4 Top viewpoints of Nine Arch Bridge in Ella
- 5 Best time to visit Nine Arch Bridge
- 6 Points to remember when in Nine Arch Bridge
Facts about the construction of Nine Arch Bridge Ella:
- The bridge is made up of rocks, bricks, and cement only. Steel or any kind of metal wasn’t used in the construction.
- The plan to construct the bridge was in 1941. This was the same time when World War One broke out.
- The steel and metals kept for constructing the bridge were used for military purposes.
How to get to the Nine Arch Bridge in Ella?
There are 3 ways to get to the Nine Arch Bridge:
Take a tuk-tuk from Ella Town
You can easily get a tuk-tuk from Ella town to the Nine Arch Bridge. After that, you have to hike for 5 to 10 minutes on foot. This is the fastest option to reach the bridge.
Tuk Tuk from down to the Bridge
From below the bridge, you can take a tuk-tuk too. But, some scammers charge too much for this. This option can be used if you are too tired or cannot walk up to the bridge.
We would suggest that this is the best option to reach the Nine Arch Bridge. You can go via the Ella- Passara road and take a left at Sri Kanesar Temple. There are some street food stalls in this place. After that, you will cross many guesthouses and finally arrive at the bridge. Isn’t this exciting? You will be able to experience the local food, speak to people and also see some mesmerizing scenes on the way.
What to expect when visiting Nine Arch Bridge?
As you know, Nine Arch Bridge is one of the most iconic places in Ella Sri Lanka. Expectations when visiting this place are definitely high.
If you love nature, then this place is for you. It is completely picturesque and anyone can assure you that it is Instagram- worthy to take photos here.
Located in the middle of the jungle and surrounded by green tea plantations and coconut trees is this beautiful Nine Arch Bridge.
The train crossing this bridge doesn’t have a definite time. But, watching a train pass on this bridge is a delight. If luck favors, you may see a train when you are there. The views from the edge of the tracks are super- amazing.
Hike up, take photos, have local food, drink coconut water and just admire the views of the most amazing bridge in Sri Lanka.
Top viewpoints of Nine Arch Bridge in Ella
If you are a good admirer, then you will want to see the Nine Arch Bridge in all its beauty, from different angles. We present to you, some of the best viewpoints from where you can capture the most astonishing sight of the Nine Arch Bridge.
Tea Fields near Demodara
Away from the tunnel, if you move to the northern end of the bridge, you will see beautiful tea fields of Ella from the bridge. This is a famous place for photography. This is private land that is too steep. You will also find the workers there telling you to move away soon. So, you got only limited time here. Make the most of it.
Hills towards the Ella Station
Towards Ella, the bridge extends in a wonderful way. Take the left path there. You will see beautiful hills and forests in this part of the bridge. The bridge curves away here and makes it perfect for one to click multiple photos at this place.
The Asanka Cafe View Point
The Asanka Cafe is situated in an amazing place on the northern end of the bridge. You can get the best of views from this spot. You will see the views of mountains and train in the perfect sync at the Asanka Cafe View Point. The beautiful view of the train coming out of the tunnel can be viewed here. This cafe is owned by a family and they make the best cup of tea in that area. Sip your tea and enjoy the view from Asanka Cafe!
Hills above the bridge
The same side as of Asanka Cafe, take a walk along the track that is a little away from the tunnel. Hike up to the top form there. You will be above the bridge near the hills. This is another great viewpoint and one of the most beautiful places in Sri Lanka.
On the bridge
Last but not least, the views from the bridge at also one of the best views! The Sri Lanka train may arrive at any time closer to its ETA. So, make sure you stay here at the right time and get away from there soon.
Best time to visit Nine Arch Bridge
- Sunrise is, of course, the best time when you can find magic at this place. Photography will be at its best at that time. The fresh morning mist on the surrounding hills is adorable.
- When the train crosses, make sure you are nearby. The blue train through the green hills is a beautiful sight. You should definitely experience this!
Points to remember when in Nine Arch Bridge
There are a few things you must take into consideration when you are here.
- Do not throw waste here and there as it is a natural beauty that we must responsibly preserve
- When you are standing on the track, be aware to keep your eyes alert on the train sound. As you hear the honk, move away from there as soon as possible
- There are so many cafes nearby. So, there is no necessity to pack food. Have local dishes that are available there
- Don’t miss the original taste of Sri Lankan tea near the Nine Arch Bridge
Eager to book your tickets to Sri Lanka? Divert Living brings to you a 3-week itinerary to Sri Lanka travel. Check that out before you make a plan!
**PIN IT FOR LATER**