Updated May 2019
Bali … One of the all time hottest destination in the world. Whenever we tell anybody that we stayed in Bali for 2 months, the number 1 question we get asked often is ‘ is it really cheap like they say ?
The truth is, Bali can be as cheap as you want it to be. It can be as expensive as you want it to be as well, so no Bali is not 100% cheap. Today we will break down the cost for us staying in Bali for 60 days. One thing for sure, one of the most incredible things about Bali is that the living cost here is much more affordable. Let’s see how much do you need to travel or even live in Bali. We will discuss accommodations, transportation, food, exploring and even some extra living expenses!
Bali Rentals Monthly
It is not overwhelming in size, but with numerous interesting and diverse places to pick from, it can be hard to choose where to stay when living in Bali . You can easily find the private pool villa for $30 a night or 337.04 USD per month.
How To Get Around Bali?
Motorbikes are the primary form of transportation here in Bali. Renting a motorbike is cheap and easy. You’ll often hear the calls for “transport” as you walk down the streets, especially in Southern Bali like Kuta or Seminyak.. “Cheap, Cheap! Taxi, Taxi!”. The most common price is around 50,000(3.37 USD) – 70,000(4.72 USD) per day. If you stay long term like us, then the price can go down to even 20,000(1.35 USD) Rupiah per day. But if not used to riding and don’t feel comfortable you can easily hire the driver as well. We never hire the private driver as we are more on the budget, plus we love explore the island by ourselves. The cost, if you want to have a private driver can cost you around 600,000(40.44 USD) Rupiah, that’s for the whole day.
Bali Food Prices
Bali food, you can easily find places to eat within your desired price point that fit your willingness to pay. It can be as cheap as you want it to be. If you eat at Warung style or typical traditional restaurant you can see a lot all over Bali, then the price can be from 15,000(1.01 USD) to 30,000(2.02 USD) Rupiah. If you go to mid range restaurants with more cute and chick looking western food on the menu, this kind of restaurant you will see a lot more in Southern Bali especially in Canggu. On average for food price, 30,000(2.02 USD) rupiah could be the minimum base for the price there, so it can be from 30,000(2.02USD) to 80,000(5.39 USD) or even 100,000(6.74USD) rupiah really depend on how fancy the restaurant is.
Staying long term in Bali and being able to maintain the budget would not be possible if we eat out everyday. We love going to the local morning market for some cheap and fresh stuff. Every time we go there, we always get some rice, some green vegetables, potatoes some eggs chicken breast, and some fruits which is really cheap buying from local market. On average we pay about 80,000(5.39USD) to 100,000(6.74USD) rupiah which generally last us for about 3 days.
Exploring Around Bali
Now you probably want to start exploring the island and hang out, good news is.. There are many places you can visit that ‘cost nothing’ YES! It is free, some of those place are for example:
- The most famous rice terrace in the world – Tegalalang rice terrace ! ( UPDATE.. donation expected )
- If you travel for photography and architecture purpose, Bali gate is the place for you, this place is stunning, the most iconic spot in Bali in my opinion and it is totally free to visit (Update This now cost 25,000)
- Saraswati temple in Ubud center
- You can’t avoid trying popular Luwak coffee while you are in Bali. We went to Teba sari. Here unbelievably it is totally free to have the coffee and tea taste together with the plantation tour as well. Even though you don’t have to pay for that but you are expected to tip the guide with whatever amount you would like to tip.
- Go to the beach! There is no fee for most beaches, but sometimes fee comes in the form of parking fee. Some beach for example at Batu Bolong beach, we paid 2000 (0.13USD)rupiah for the parking and when you want to rent the beach chair that will cost another 50,000(3.37USD).
Best Waterfalls In Bali
- Most waterfall comes with the fee especially the popular that you mostly see on Instagram; Tegenugnan, Tibumana, Tukad Cepung, Nung Nung or Aling Aling.
- For Aling Aling, which is more like natural water park where you can jump off the falls and you are required to pay for the guide which at the time we visited it was 125,000(8.43USD) Rupiah. If you want to just hike and take a look, the entrance fee would be 10000(0.67USD) Rupiah
- Tibumana waterfall, the hidden gem tucked into the jungle nearby Ubud, The entrance fee is at 10,000(0.67USD) Rupiah
- Tukad Cepung, which is more like a cave waterfall, the entrance fee is at 10000(0.67USD) Rupiah
- Tegenungan waterfall, only around 10 minutes from Ubud center, this one is EXTREMELY popular probably because it is so easy to get there, it cost the entrance fee at 10000(0.67USD) rupiah
- Nungnung waterfall, far up north of Bali, deep in jungle, being one of the most powerful waterfall we have ever seen, the entrance fee is at 10000(0.67USD) rupiah
Bali is truly the land of waterfall. Whatever vibe you want to get you can get it in Bali either you want the powerful one, more private one, deep in the jungle one or the cave one, you can literally get it all. Most waterfall comes with the fee of 10,000(0.67USD) Rupiah especially the popular ones.
Extra Bali Vacation Cost
Laundry : You have to wash your clothes on the island. The cost of laundry in Bali is REALY cheap as well. We pay 7000(0.47USD) Rupiah per kilogram in Ubud and Canggu
Gym : Don’t worry if you want to be healthy or want to keep your body fit. Bali is perfect place for gym lover. It cost us 250,000(16.85USD) Rupiah per month for the gym in Canggu, In Ubud it cost cheaper at 200,000(13.48USD) Rupiah per month.
If you are planning a trip make sure you also know the things you must not do in Bali Click here to read more
We hope these insights and price points help you truly understand how expensive it can be to live on one of the most beautiful islands in the world. If you want to check out Full Bali Video we have that on our YOUTUBE CHANNEL showing you and in depth guide to all the best and even some of the most unknown local spots!
IF you are planning a trip make sure to check out our Must know and travel essential Packing list that is completely free! DOWNLOAD IT HERE